Sunday, October 17, 2010

Mom's Chicken Noodle Soup

The Story:

Since it is fall time and starting to get freezing cold in Utah I decided this week would be good for a soup recipe. I don't remember when we started having this soup on a regular basis at our house. I think it was when I was in high school. We lived in Arizona where it was always really hot so I didn't really make fall soup memories until I came to Utah for college. Now I have to make it all the time just to stay warm!

Here's a little note with soup recipes, or recipes in general for that matter. These are mostly just guidelines. Do want you think sounds yummy! And let's be honest...I have NEVER measured anything out when I make this so it is mostly just guesstimates on my part. And I somehow always end up with enough soup to feed a small army and we have leftovers for FOREVER. If you don't want that much try to just be really careful as you go along to keep things small. I don't really have any advice on how to do that so good luck!

Chicken Noodle Soup:


3 large chicken breasts
1 medium sized bag of noodles (I usually use shells)
diced potatoes and carrots
1 can evaporated milk
processed cheese (1/3 of a loaf of velveeta or about 8 slices of kraft will work great!)
3-4 eggs
seasoning of your choice to taste

a few notes:
  • for the diced carrots and potatoes: I usually do 4-5 small potatoes and one small bag of mini carrots BUT Stephen and I were at the store a few weeks ago and he said we should get the potatoes and carrots in cans. I thought that sounded really gross but I agreed to try it just once since they were on sale. I don't know why I have been wasting my time and energy all of these years dicing vegetables! This was sooo easy and they tasted perfectly normal! I am so excited that I don't have to cut them all up anymore--that always took forever! I used 2 cans of potatoes and one can of carrots.
  • for the seasoning: I always used oregano because it is my favorite but I either lost it or misplaced it when we moved so I just used pepper and season salt when I made it last. Stephen LOVED it!
Ok. Start by boiling the chicken with whatever seasoning you choose in a large stockpot about 1/2 way full of water. I almost always start from frozen so it usually takes about 30 minutes. (While I was waiting I used to spend that whole time and more chopping the veggies. Trust me--go with the cans!)

When the chicken is done, take it out of the pot and start the noodles boiling (Yes, in the same water. It is chicken broth at this point and that is what makes the soup so good! Unless you think that is gross like my dear husband...) while you cut up the chicken into bite size pieces. Put the chicken back in and add the veggies. Let those cook until they are nearly as soft as you want them.

These last few steps are tricky and I usually end up burning the soup. This is what makes the soup so yummy though so go as fast as you can and keep stirring the whole time! Add the can of evaporated milk and then toss in the cheese. Stir it until it is all melted in making the soup really creamy. Then crack your eggs in a bowl, stir them and then drop them into the soup a little bit at a time. You have to make sure the soup is hot enough to cook them, but don't burn it! Just go really fast! When the eggs are cooked, take it off the burner and, if necessary, transfer it to a bowl or something to stop the burning taste from spreading!

I don't think I forgot any steps...did I mom? I guess we'll find out. Haha. It is kind of complicated but this soup just warms my soul when it is bitterly cold outside! One more note...If you have leftovers like I always seem to just be cautioned that when you put the soup in the fridge, all of the veggies and noodles and stuff suck up all of the soup juice and it looks really weird/gross. When you reheat it in the microwave just add a bit of milk and all will be well!

ENJOY!

No comments:

Post a Comment