Sunday, October 3, 2010

Chicken Rolls

The Story:

We'll just get started with my absolute favorite recipe of all time! I fell in love the very first time I had these and I'm sure I'll love them until the day I die! Thank goodness Stephen loves them too! I made them for him not too long after we started dating convinced him that I am an excellent cook. Haha...I fooled him! I generally have a lot more mishaps than successes in the kitchen. You'll hear about some of those later for sure. I've don't think I've ever messed up this recipe though. It is really simple! Not that being simple makes things foolproof for me but like I said before, we'll save those stories for another day....

My family got this recipe from our dear friend Kim Allen when she made them for us after my mom had surgery. They have been a favorite ever since! This was one of the first recipes I ever memorized because it is just that good! I hope you like it as much as we all do!

Another great thing about this recipe is that you can make them in bulk and freeze them! Just today Stephen and I made 48 chicken rolls and put them in the freezer. They will be the perfect easy and delicious meal after long, busy days of school! You can do this two different ways. You can bake them, freeze them and then heat them up in the microwave. I prefer to freeze them before I bake them. Then whenever we want chicken rolls I just pull them out, put them in the oven and have fresh chicken rolls! :)

Chicken Rolls:

-3 large boneless, skinless chicken breasts
-1 8 oz pkg cream cheese
-2 sticks butter
-2 packages of 8 crescent rolls
-2 cups crushed frosted flakes (most people use corn flakes or bread crumbs but trust me--frosted flakes is the way to go! we found out on accident when we are all out of corn flakes and had to use frosted flakes instead. it was the most brilliant substitution of all time and we have never looked back!)

Boil the chicken until it is cooked all the way through (about 30 minutes if it starts frozen) and then shred it. Mix in cream cheese and just one stick of butter. Add salt and pepper to taste. Stretch out the crescent rolls so they are just a bit bigger and thinner than how they started. Then put a heaping tablespoon of the chicken mixture onto each one. Fold in the corners to make neat little pouches. Melt the second stick of butter and crush the frosted flakes. Roll the chicken rolls in the butter and then the frosted flakes and bake at 350° for about 20 minutes or until they are golden brown.

This is the technical recipe for the sauce that goes on top of the chicken rolls:
-1 can cream of mushroom soup
-1 cup. sour cream
-1/3 cup. milk
-1 teaspoon lemon juice

Mix all ingredients over medium heat. Honestly though I don't usually have sour cream or lemon juice sitting around in my little college apartment so cream of mushroom soup and a little bit of milk works just fine on its own. Stephen prefers cream of chicken but if I were you, I would stick with the cream of mushroom. Just sayin'.

ENJOY!

No comments:

Post a Comment